Wednesday, July 08, 2009

La Luz de Jesus Presents Paintings By Dale Sizer and Miles Thompson


Outlaw by Dale Sizer

The La Luz De Jesus gallery, located in the Soap Plant building in Los Feliz, hosts some of the trendiest and most vibrant art exhibits in L.A. La Luz’s latest exhibit, on now through July 26th, features the work of Miles Thompson and Dale Sizer, two well-known commercial illustrators based in Southern California. Miles draws from his surfing background to produce memorable pics of dogs, tikis and cartoon characters. Animation fans may have seen Miles’ short films at Spike & Mike’s Twisted Animation Festival, but you’ve definitely seen his work on Nickelodeon, Disney & Warner Brothers animated features and cartoons.

Dale Sizer has worked on animation for Hanna Barbera, Disney, Warner Brothers and other clients. His drawings and paintings, including acrylic on metal flake vinyl pieces depicting glamour icons and cute but quirky looking doggies, are heavily influenced by film noir and old Hollywood. I recently talked with Dale about his background and influences.


Where have we seen your artwork before?

I’ve shown it at M Modern in Palm Springs*, and in Las Vegas and Seattle at the Roq LaRue Gallery and San Francisco. But mainly they’re on my website or as illustrations somewhere.

What influenced you to become an artist?

Mostly illustration art and commercial and pop art. I discovered old pin-up calendar girl art and that’s been an influence, but mostly it’s been from the commercial illustration realm and pop art.

Can people buy prints of your work?

I don’t have any prints available at the moment. I need to market myself like that but I haven’t gotten it together.

What inspires the subjects of your paintings? Are there different things at times, or do you have a specific source of inspiration?


I love old movies, especially the film noir styles and the color ones as well. I just like beautiful imagery and it just goes back to kind of a retro style of painting women, I guess. Some other contemporary artists are inspirational, they’ve influenced me. But I think I’m one of the few people who is doing what I’m doing. At least I don’t see that much of it, where people are doing sexy pin-up stuff and noir-ish stuff. I’m sure there are, but just haven’t seen it that much.

The whole retro burlesque look, though, is very popular with young models and photographers in L.A.


There’s kind of a big retro model pin-up thing going on and a lot of girls who love to dress up and look that way and a lot of photographers that like to capture that whole thing, but I don’t see a lot of actual painting going on.

*As part of the Pussycats, Dolls & Vixens: Tribute to Russ Meyer Exhibit







No comments:

Post a Comment